A person’s mental disorder directly affects his perception of the world around him. In an instant, the ability to think rationally and make the right decisions disappears somewhere. And in the advanced stages of schizophrenia or any other mental disorder, it is difficult to prove to a person that you need to undergo a course of inpatient or at least remote treatment. After all, it is necessary to adhere to proper nutrition, work with a psychiatrist and constantly take antipsychotics and other drugs.
There is a successful practice of how to persuade a sick person to undergo a rehabilitation course. There is no single successful recipe, but the basic principles and methodologies are applied by experts around the world.
What can not be done to persuade the patient to be treated
– Assert a person that he is mentally ill, unbalanced, crazy, schizophrenic or disabled. Moral suppression can provoke aggression and social closeness. Since most people with mental disorders are not aware of their illness.
– Arguing, proving one’s case, provoking a person to aggression and, moreover, resorting to physical force in relation to the patient. Such a position initially sets the person with a mental disorder against you and worsens his condition.
– Threaten, issue ultimatums (for example, threaten to get a divorce, take away property and money, pick up a child).
– Indicate common sense and give logical and rational arguments. A person with a mental breakdown is not able to accept reasoned arguments and be guided by logic. The consciousness of the individual is clouded, and this must be accepted.
Correspondence treatment or alternative medicine – ineffective and dangerous
Any specialist in the field of psychiatry and psychology will confirm that remote treatment of people with schizophrenia and other psychological disorders is ineffective and even dangerous. The fact is that most of the patient’s key symptoms appear only during personal questioning and communication with the doctor. Only a specialist knows those signals and factors that indicate a violation of the adequacy of the perception of the environment.
A clinical examination prescribed by a psychiatrist will allow not only to assess the current state of the patient, but also to identify possible boosters of this condition. For example, to detect traces of taking psychotropic or narcotic substances, traces of a traumatic brain injury or an experienced illness.
In psychiatry, the final diagnosis of specialists can only be negotiated with members of the patient’s family, since mental illness belongs to the category of medical anonymity and cannot be disclosed in person.
How to persuade a patient to a rehabilitation course
– Win the trust of a sick person and establish good contact with him (he should not be afraid of you or neglect you).
– Play along in some situations, confirm that you also see hallucinations and are “on the same wavelength” with him. Just don’t overdo it or it will backfire.
– Determine what symptoms disturb the person (for example, headache or dizziness, nausea appears, insomnia develops). It is these factors that should become a reasoned reason for contacting a psychiatrist.
Many people with mental disorders are most afraid of being in a psychiatric hospital. Therefore, it is impossible to focus on this, creating the most favorable conditions for a person. After the appointment, the specialist doctor will indicate exactly how to start treatment.